Mr. Ahmad Rafay Alam did his LL.B (Hons) from School of Oriental and African studies, University of London. He was admitted and enrolled as an Advocate of the Punjab Bar in 2000 and admitted as an Advocate of the High Court in 2002.
He has been handling litigation, mergers, acquisitions, competition and environment portfolios for one of Pakistan oldest and largest law firms while continuing with projects and clients retained from private practice. Argued high profile securities, competition and environment cases before the High Courts and assisted the name partner before the Supreme Court. Prepared draft Gas Utility Companies Act, 2010 for Sui Northern Gas Pipeline Limited and presented it to the Federal Minister of Petroleum and Natural Resources. Amicus curiae in environment and urban development cases before the Lahore High Court. He also advised the World Bank for Situational analysis of Urban Local Government in Punjab.
He also specializes in the areas of infrastructure and independent power generation, public utilities, environment, intellectual property, textile and telecommunications regulation. Clients include multinational consulting firms, EPC contractors, O&M providers, independent power generation companies, oil and gas suppliers to power plants, infrastructure development companies and property developers.
- Chairman, Lahore Electricity Supply Company Limited
- Member, Steering Committee of the Sustainable Development of the Walled City Project, Government of Punjab
- Member, Task Force on Urban Development, Planning Commission of Pakistan
- Secretary General, Public Interest Law Association of Pakistan
- Member, Government of Punjab Committee on drafting of Walled City Conservation legislation for Lahore;
- Member, Government of Punjab Committee on Finalization of Urban Commercial Policy in Lahore, 2009;
- Legal advisor, Faiz Foundation Trust;
- Member, Task Force on the Social Sector, Planning Commission of Pakistan;
- Member, Steering Committee for Public Transport, Capital Development Authority, Islamabad;
- Member, Steering Committee, UN-Habitat Country Programme, Ministry of Environment, Islamabad;
- Senior Lecturer of land and constitutional laws at University College Lahore;
- Guest Lecturer of the law of public interest litigation at Kinnaird College, Lahore;
- Member of the Board of Governors of the Citizens’ Archive of Pakistan;
- Member of the Board of Governors of the Alif Laila Book Bus, Lahore;
- Member of the Board of Governors of Applied Socioeconomic Research Institute (ASR) and the Institute of Women’s Studies Lahore (ISWL), Lahore;
- Member of the Board of Governors of the Punjab Urban Resource Center; and
- Weekly columnist for The News and Express Tribune on environmental, development and urban planning issues.
The Law of Public Interest Litigation, Menski, Kasuri & Alam (Platinum Publishing, Lahore & London, 2000)
Manual of Environmental Laws, Ahmad Rafay Alam (Irfan Law Book House, Lahore, 2009)
Conferences & Papers
- A New Approach to the Freedom of Expression: Lessons from the Pakistani Experience, a paper delivered at the Freedom of Expression session of the 10th SAARC Law Conference, Karachi 21 February 2004;
- Basant: Urban & Legal Development through Cultural Phenomenon, a lecture at the Lahore Sessions Seminar on Urbanism & the Global Outlook arranged by the Office for Conservation & Community Outlook, Lahore, 10 January 2006;
- Public Interest Litigation and the Role of the Judiciary, a paper delivered at The International Judicial Conference: Justice for All, Islamabad 11-14 August 2006;
- Land Locked: An Examination of some of the Inefficiencies affecting transactions involving immovable property, a paper delivered at the 22nd Annual General Meeting of the Pakistan Society of Development Economists, Lahore 19-21 December 2006 (published in Pakistan Development Review, Vol. 45, No. 4, Part II (Winter 2006) at p. 1323);
- Legal Issues in Conservation in Pakistan, a presentation for the Consultative Workshop An Update on Environmental Issues for Journalists held under the aegis of the WWF and the European Commission, Lahore 20 March 2007;
- A Congestion Charge for Lahore, a presentation made at the National Seminar on Innovations in City Planning & Management organized by the Institute of Planners Pakistan and the Department of City & Regional Planning, University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore 24 May 2007;
- Importance of Environmental Law with respect to Pakistan, a presentation made to LESCO at an Orientation Workshop on Environmental Issues arranged by The Bunyad Foundation, Lahore 24 October 2008; and
- Public Transport, Usability and Democracy, a presentation made at the invitation of the Interaction Design Center of the University of Management and Technology on the occasion of the World Usability Day, 13 November 2008.
- Urban Change and Rural Supply: The Nexus between Climate Change, Population Dynamics and Food Security, a paper delivered at the 9th Annual Research Conference held by the Population Association of Pakistan in collaboration with the Foreman Christian College, Lahore 2-4 December 2008
Mr. Ahmad Rafay Alam heads and supervises the Lahore office of Azam Chaudhry Law Associates.